Easy Sign in FREE Let's hear from you!... Bring a friend!

Sun today -showing 3590

Collected data from multiple sites, always updated!
KX4QC

Sun today -showing 3590

Post by KX4QC »

Here's a full-disk sun photo from my back yard this afternoon.

Single frame, sun low this afternoon, so a little atmospheric turbulence in the image. See the enlarging active region 3590 about 4 o'clock, near edge. CMEs already from here.

Probably the last photo before it rounds the edge or the rain comes. Watching to see if 3590 comes back even larger.

Not best pic, but see the surface stippling, limb darkening towards the edges. Numerous sunspot groups are shown as well as some lighter plage areas. The sunspots show typical dark penumbra and umbra darkest areas. Click to enlarge, R-Click to download.

sun4177a.jpg

sun4164b.jpg

DSC04175a.jpg

Sony ILCE-6000 Mirrorless.
1/500 @ f11 600mm
Metal-glass white filter
ISO 100 (KX4QC 29FEB24)

Click the sun image at top right on this page for today's NASA sun images. Ok, they do better pix, but fun to DIY!
Welcome Guest! All the pictures, downloads and more when you SIGN IN free. - It's OK to ponder what you just missed..and sign in!
KX4QC

Re: Sun today -Geomag storm today

Post by KX4QC »

That's nutt'n...
Take a look at this from today's AP:
https://apnews.com/article/sun-solar-fl ... aa82025217

A mention in the news about radio.... Who'd have thought.....?
KX4QC

Re: Sun today -showing 3615 photo from Ameia, Va.

Post by KX4QC »

Here's the sun this afternoon from my back yard. Lots of sunspots including the already notorious 3615.
Sinle frames, as I have not yet gotten around to getting them to Registax. Maybe I have enough ok video frames to make these images a lot better.
DSC01272sun_a.jpg
Very shimmering conditons today, but heres a detail of 3615, which seems to be the culprit for the HF conditions today and late yesterday:
DSC01292_3615a.jpg
Did you notice the "mirror" image, a result of the differing optics used for each photo.

I tried looking through my eclipse glasses, and I think that I can just persuade myself that I can see a smudge of this 3615. It's kinda big!

Photo nerd stuff: Alpha 7 camera, ISO 2k, top 1/2000 @ f22 600mm, lower two, same camera but 5" Maksotov Casegrain telescope f14. White light metal-glass solar filter.
Welcome Guest! All the pictures, downloads and more when you SIGN IN free. - It's OK to ponder what you just missed..and sign in!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sun today -showing 3590

Post by admin »

Spot group 3865 huge today!
Go take a look. Click the sun Image on the page header.
Traveling today so I can't photo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

You have noticed the Guest Sampler!

You clearly like it here, so Come In Now... :)

First time here?

Callsign (or a name) and an email (for lost password, etc.) -that's all!
You can start your own topics, subscribe to topics, chat and search
It’s free and only takes a moment. See it all now!

Register - First time Welcome!.

Easy Sign in